"Training is everything.
The peach was once a bitter almond;
cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education."
~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)
I made nut butter from scratch for the first time today. Very easy and yummy!
1 lb Whole Almonds
2 Tbs Almond Oil (or other oil) as needed
1) Toast almonds in 350F oven for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to toast evenly. Allow to cool.
2) Add almonds to food processor, stopping and scraping sides frequently, until paste forms. If the nut butter is too firm, add oil one tablespoon at a time while continuing to process. Length of processing time depends on the processor power/speed and oil content of the nuts.
Other nuts or mixtures of nuts can be substituted using the same method.
- I've stored mine in a repurposed 16 oz glass peanut butter jar.
- One pound of nuts filled the jar exactly.
- Processing was done in an 11-cup Cuisinart I got at a yard sale for $15.
- The nuts were purchased on sale from the grocery store, at a savings of several dollars over the cost of a store-bought jar of almond butter, and without the salt.