This bread requires no kneading and can be made without getting out the mixer. Makes a sweet, moist, chewy flavorful loaf. For a crunchier crust, mist the oven with water just before putting bread in to bake.
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 pkgs Active Dry Yeast (equals 4 1/2 tsp)
- 5 cups All-Purpose Flour, divided (I use unbleached all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup Apple Juice*
- 1 1/2 cups Water*
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Oats, Uncooked
- 1/2 cup Honey**
- 1 Tbs Butter (plus additional to grease pans)
- 2 Tbs Sesame Seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together salt, yeast and 2 cups flour.
- In 2-quart saucepan with spoon mix water, apple juice, oats, butter and honey over low heat. Heat until very warm (120-130F)
- Gradually add liquid mixture into dry ingredients and whisk together until blended. Whisk an additional 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. (This can be done by hand or using an electric mixer) Beat in an additional 1/2 cup of flour to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes. Stir in about 2 1/2 cups additional flour, enough to make a stiff, sticky dough that leaves the side of the bowl.
- Cover bowl with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place (85-95F) about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Stir down dough; divide in two and turn out into 2 greased 5x9 inch rectangular bread pans. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional). Let rise in a warm place about 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans immediately to cool on a wire rack.
* May use 2 1/2 cups of water in place of water and apple juice for a bread that's slightly less sweet.
** May use either honey, maple syrup or molasses to sweeten.
(c)2009 Kay Pere ~ Effusive Muse Publishing