Saturday, March 18, 2006

RECIPE - Chocolate Brownie Pancakes

We had a special occasion breakfast this morning.

I fixed Chocolate Brownie Pancakes from a recipe I found at www.recipezaar.com. Of course, I never follow a recipe exactly as written. This one was originally for waffles. I added a little extra milk to make the batter thinner for pancakes.

CHOCOLATE BROWNIE PANCAKES
Modified from a 1966 circular recipe for waffles. Would be great with icecream, too.

8 servings
25 minutes, 10 minutes prep

1/2 c butter, melted (I used unsalted butter)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 c milk (for waffles, more for pancakes)
Other optional ingredients: chocolate chips, nuts, shredded coconut, berries

1. Melt butter and chocolate in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add sugar and beat well.
2. Add vanilla and allow to cool.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon. (I left out the cinnamon)
4. Add flour mixture alternately with milk to chocolate mixture.
5. Add your choice of optional ingredients. (I added 1/4 c chocolate chips)
6. Bake pancakes in a pan on low-med head. Bake waffles according to directions on waffle iron. Waffles will crisp as they cool.
7. Refrigerate any left over batter. Batter will keep for several days in refrigerator.
8. If using from refrigerated, add 1/4 tsp baking powder dissolved in 1 tsp water for every cup cold batter.

I left the cinnamon out of the batter because the chocolate/cinnamon combo didn't appeal to everyone. Instead, I put the cinnamon on the table to sprinkle on if desired.

In addition to traditional maple syrup and I made a hot fruit topping. For a single serving, I put 2 handfuls of frozen mixed berries in a bowl, heated it on High in the microwave for 1min30sec until bubbly. This can be poured the over the chocolate pancakes in place of syrup.

Enjoy! They're yummy!

COPYRIGHT 2006 - Effusive Muse Publishing

No comments:

Post a Comment